As many should know by now, Paul Bearer died last night — read about him here.
Bill Moody was Paul Bearer’s real name. He also went by the name Percy Pringle.
I, by no means, am a HUGE fan of professional wrestling. I wouldn’t even call myself a supporter of it. I do occasionally turn it on. I occasionally watch a PPV. It is entertainment. It’s fun to watch sometimes.
When I was a young boy, I enjoyed watching wrestling here and there more than now. It was fun because of the characters. It was fun because they wrestled. Nowadays, there is very little wrestling, too much talking, too much sex, and not enough characters! There are hardly any (if any!) managers like Paul Bearer. He was the ultimate sidekick. Partnering him with Undertaker is one of the best gimmicks that professional wrestling has ever seen.
Why would they get rid of such a thing? Why would they get rid of characters? Man. Think about all the good ones and their props.
- Jake “The Snake” Roberts — his snake was awesome!
- Junk Yard Dog — stay away from that chain
- Big Boss Man
- Sgt. Slaughter — what a name
- Hacksaw Jim Duggan — HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
- Raven’s Flock — just look at the names: Saturn, Sick Boy, Hammer, Lodi…classic
- D-Generation X
- Hart Foundation
- Road Warriors
- The Iron Sheik
- Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase — you have to have a rich guy throwing around money
- Bam Bam Bigelow
- Rowdy Roddy Piper
- Macho Man Randy Savage
- Ultimate Warrior
- STING! — all of his characters were amazing
- Cactus Jack/Dude Love/Mankind/Mick Foley — maybe the best ever
- Hulk Hogan — his “Americana” persona was amazing, especially battles with Iron Sheik
- Diamond Dallas Page
- Doink the Clown — simply cool
- ANDRE THE GIANT
- Vader — IT’S VADER TIME!
- Big Red Machine (Kane) — his mask was terrifying, his duel with Undertaker was awesome
- Honky Tonk Man
I mean, this list is amazing. They had personality. They had fun. They were something special. They weren’t “Randy Orton.” They weren’t “John Cena.” Heck, they weren’t “King Booker” and his ever changing speaking issues. The “character” allowed kids to dress up and paint faces. Seriously, how lame is “The Miz” and “John Morrison.”
Call me crazy for even pondering this stuff…but it just got me thinking after hearing of Paul Bearer’s passing. There were GREAT characters in wrestling. It’s almost unbearable watching the lousy ring performances, whether it is the wrestling or mic work. Nobody could work a mic like The Rock or Stone Cold. Then, there were all kinds of characters that didn’t need a mic, their wrestling performances were enough.
Thanks Paul Bearer. It was a good ride. You died too soon. You provided my childhood with some good entertainment. Too bad your legacy has not been rewarded in your lifetime — not in the Hall of Fame?! Too bad WWE and Vince won’t go back to what made wrestling entertaining.
Paul Bearer, You Will Rest In Peace.
Wrestling needs to be about the art form again. It needs to be about painting a picture and having a really good match. — Hulk Hogan