This whole topic gets me going. It probably doesn’t get me going as much as it does many football people.
Here‘s where it began again.
Now, for starters…I am a fan of both. I am a Packer fan through and through. At the same time, soccer is my life. I just get baffled at all those football people who are SO hostile towards soccer and its supporters.
I don’t get it. I really dont.
There is no rhyme or reason. I can think of a few things it could be: jealousy, scared, or intruded on. That’s about it. Thinking about ALL sports, only football people are hostile towards other sports — and it is usually towards soccer. There are no other sports supporters who are so vehemently against any other sports, except football people. Why is this?
Now, don’t get me wrong here, not everyone has to be a supporter of soccer. I am no big fan of several sports: hockey and golf, for instance. But I don’t go around saying how much it sucks and ragging on it endlessly. I know people like those sports, and so be it. I have pretty much given up any support of the NBA and MLB — but I don’t hate basketball or baseball.
So why is it that we hear comments like this about soccer:
- “why don’t they just build those soccer players a field of their own…” — in regards to sharing a field with football
- “[The coach] went for a touchdown from the 1 yd line on the last play of the game instead of kicking a field goal to tie. On the radio after he was asked why he didn’t go for the tie and overtime. He replied that the kids worked too hard to go for a tie. Then added “Kicking is for soccer.” Classic!”
- “As long as that stadium has [the coach] on it, there will be no soccer lines on it……… And rightfully so”
- “I always said there’s only one thing worse than watching a football game on a field with soccer lines on it. Thats watching a Soccer game on it.”
- “Two guys were at a soccer game. The one guy said to the other. “Do you want to make this interesting”. The other guy said “yes”, so they left.”
- “Soccer is a non-revenue generating sport, the money for that stadium was not intended for holding soccer matches.”
- “Soccer makes me sick!”
- “Soccer belongs in Europe…Sorry check the TV ratings…”
- “So please keep your little round ball in [your] County and do what you people do with it…”